Cubs Minor League Report: 7/20/16
Iowa split a doubleheader, Eugene posted a shutout win and Mesa battled back for a victory Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (43-55)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-12.0)
The I-Cubs split a doubleheader vs. Salt Lake, falling 5-0 in game one and winning 6-3 in the nightcap.
- CF-DH Dexter Fowler appeared in both games as part of a rehab assignment. He played center field in Game 1, going 0 for 3. He served as the DH in Game 2, going 1 for 2 with a double (1), a walk and two runs scored.
- LF Jorge Soler made his first rehab appearance in Game 1, going 0 for 3.
- RHP Joe Nathan (0.1 IP, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB) walked three and allowed two runs in 0.1 innings.
- RF Mark Zagunis (.272) went 2 for 2 with a double (12), walk, two runs scored and three RBI (23) in Game 2.
Tennessee Smokies (11-14)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-4.5)
The Smokies allowed four first inning runs and ultimately fell, 8-2 vs. Mississippi.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.302) went 2 for 4 with two doubles (13) and a run scored.
- 1B David Freitas (.286) was 2 for 4, his third multi-hit game in the last five games.
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 4 SO) tossed three scoreless innings of relief, striking out four batters.
South Bend Cubs (16-10)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
South Bend allowed three runs in the ninth inning, falling 7-5 vs. Burlington.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.267) finished 3 for 4 with a double (20), a triple (2), a solo homer (8), two runs scored and three RBI (51). He is batting .397 (25 for 63) in 18 July games.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.281) went 2 for 3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (53). He is batting .373 (25 for 67) with 16 runs scored in 16 July contests.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.319) went 1 for 3 with a double (9), two walks, two runs scored and a stolen base (3).
Eugene Emeralds (23-10)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+7.0)
Eugene clinched the first half South Division title with a 4-0 blanking of visiting Hillsboro.
- Jose Paulino (0.51 ERA) struck out seven and walked one, giving up two hits in seven innings. He has tossed four straight quality starts and has allowed just two earned runs in 35 innings this season.
- DH Wladimir Galindo (.229) was 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- LF Robert Garcia (.296) ripped his second home run of the season.
- RHP Jared Cheek (1 IP) has not allowed a run in his last six outings (8.1 IP).
Mesa Cubs (14-10)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+1.0)
Mesa scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth to walk-off with a 7-6 victory over the AZL Angels.
- LHP Eugenio Palma (2 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) earned the win, tossing two scoreless innings. He has allowed just three runs in 18 innings (1.50 ERA) this season.
- 2B Jhonny Bethencourt (.222) finished 2 for 4 with two RBI (5).
- LF Yohan Matos (.302) was 2 for 4 with a triple (2), two runs scored and a RBI (6).
- CF Luis Ayala (.348) went 2 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI (16), his fourth straight multi-hit game.