Cubs Minor League Report: 7/25/16
Iowa’s early lead was enough, Myrtle Beach’s bats came through, South Bend swept its doubleheader, and Eugene picked up the win in extra innings on Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (44-59)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-15.0)
Iowa led 5-1 after three innings and cruised to a 6-2 victory over host Memphis.
- RHP Jordan Pries (3.52 ERA) made his first start in the Cubs organization, allowing two earned runs in six innings and collecting the win.
- LF Mark Zagunis (.280) went 2 for 3 with two runs scored.
- 2B Logan Watkins (.284) and SS Kristopher Negron (.239) each finished 2 for 4 with two singles.
- CF Albert Almora Jr. (.317) recorded a hit and a run scored in his first game back with Iowa.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (17-14)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach scored the game’s final eight runs, rallying for a 9-5 victory over Carolina.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.245) was 3 for 4 with a double (13), two runs scored and one RBI (69). He has driven in 15 runs in his last seven games.
- C Erick Castillo (.227) finished 2 for 3 with a solo homer (1) and three runs scored.
- SS Andrew Ely (.209) was 2 for 4 with a walk and two runs scored, his third multi-hit game in his last four contests.
- 2B David Bote (.320) and CF Jeffrey Baez (.233) each added two hits.
- RHP Craig Brooks (2 IP, 1 BB, 4 SO) struck out four in two hitless innings to collect the win.
South Bend Cubs (20-11)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.5)
South Bend completed a doubleheader sweep of Peoria, including a thrilling 9-8 victory in Game 1 in which the Cubs scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.330) went a combined 4 for 4 with a double (30), a solo homer (11), two walks, two runs scored and four RBI (64).
- RF Eddy Martinez (.263) finished a combined 2 for 5 with a solo homer (9), three runs scored, five RBI (57) and one walk. He has nine RBI in his last four games.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.282) was a combined 3 for 5 with three runs scored and one walk.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.220), 1B Alberto Mineo (.296) and CF Roberto Caro (.238) added multi-hit games in Game 2.
Eugene Emeralds (28-10)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene claimed its sixth straight victory, rallying from a 5-0 deficit to win 7-6 in 12 innings.
- 1B Chris Pieters (.301) was 2 for 5 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (21). He has a hit and an RBI in each of his last four games.
- 3B Vimael Machin (.429) finished 2 for 5 with two RBI (5) and a stolen base (2). He is 6 for 13 in his last three games, all multi-hit efforts.
- RHP Jared Cheek (3 IP, 1 BB, 1 SO) tossed three hitless innings to collect his first win. He has not allowed a run in his last eight outings (12.1 IP).
Mesa Cubs (16-12)
Arizona Rookie League
First Place (+1.0)
Mesa could not hold on to a 4-2 lead, dropping a 7-4 decision at the AZL Brewers.
- RHP Matt Swarmer made his first start of the season, striking out six batters in three innings.
- 3B Jhonny Bethencourt (.232) was 2 for 4 with a double (3), a walk, a run scored and an RBI (6).
- LF Ruben Reyes (.250) went 2 for 4 with a RBI (9).