Cubs Minor League Report: 7/31/16
Iowa, Myrtle Beach, South Bend and Eugene all racked up victories Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (46-63)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-17.0)
Iowa scored four runs in the first and added three more in the eighth, topping Omaha, 8-3.
- CF Albert Almora Jr. (.320) went 2 for 5 with a run scored and an RBI (35). He is 11 for 33 (.333) with five runs scored in seven games since returning to Iowa.
- RF Juan Perez (.276) finished 2 for 4 with a walk, a run scored, an RBI (41) and two stolen bases (14). He extended his hitting streak to 10 games (.412/14 for 34).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.299) and SS Munenori Kawasaki (.276) each walked twice, collected a hit and scored two runs.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2 IP, 1 H, 5 SO) struck out five batters in two scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (14-21)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fifth Place (-6.5)
The Smokies outhit Birmingham, but dropped the game, 6-2.
- 2B Ian Happ (.285) was 2 for 5 with a double (10) and a run scored.
- 1B David Freitas (.298) went 2 for 4 with an RBI (22). He has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games.
- LF Kelly Dugan (.209) finished 2 for 4 with a stolen base (1), his first multi-hit game since July 12.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (20-17)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach collected 12 hits in a 3-1 victory over host Salem.
- RHP Jeremy Null (4.89 ERA) gave up one earned run in six innings of work to pick up the win. He struck out three batters.
- 2B Bryant Flete (.522) continued his hot start with Myrtle Beach, going 3 for 4 with a two-run homer (1) and a walk. He has gone 12 for 23 in his first six games with the club and is riding an 18-game hitting streak (.431/28 for 65) spanning his last 12 games with South Bend.
- 1B David Bote (.320) went 2 for 5 with two doubles (13). He is 5 for 9 in his last two games.
- DH Yasiel Balaguert (.252) finished 2 for 5 with a run scored, his third straight multi-hit game.
- SS Andrew Ely (.217) was 2 for 3 with a walk.
- LF Charcer Burks (.245) finished 1 for 5 with a leadoff homer (9) in the first inning.
South Bend Cubs (23-13)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
South Bend improved to 23-13 in the second half, winning a pitcher’s duel over Great Lakes, 2-1.
- RHP Adbert Alzolay (4.58 ERA) recorded his longest scoreless outing of the season, allowing just five hits and one walk in six innings to secure the win. He also fanned seven batters.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.269) went 2 for 4, extending his hitting streak to five games (.368/7 for 19).
- C P.J. Higgins (.274) was 1 for 3 with a double (23), a walk and a run scored.
- DH Alberto Mineo (.356) went 1 for 2 with two walks, a run scored and an RBI (13). He has scored a run in six straight games.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.342) drove in his team-leading 70th RBI on the year.
Eugene Emeralds (2-4)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
Fourth Place (-4.0)
Eugene held on for a 7-6 win over host Boise, snapping a three-game losing streak.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.243) was 4 for 4 with a double (6), an inside-the-park home run (2) and two runs scored. He has three straight games with at least three hits, going 10 for 13 (.769).
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.226) went 2 for 4 with a double (8), a solo homer (6), two runs scored and two RBI (19). He has scored six runs in his last four games.
- SS Zack Short (.273) finished 2 for 4 with a triple (1), a run scored and an RBI (4).
- LHP Wyatt Short (1 IP, 1 SO) has allowed just two hits and no earned runs in seven innings this season.
Mesa Cubs (1-3)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-2.5)
Mesa surrendered a seven-run fourth inning in its 11-5 setback at the AZL Angels.
- DH Yohan Matos (.242) reached twice, going 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- 1B Jhonny Pereda (.235) went 0 for 2 but walked twice and scored a run.
- 3B Rafael Mejia (.207) had the team’s only extra-base hit, going 1 for 4 with a double (4) and a run scored.