Cubs Minor League Report: 8/1/16
All four affiliates in action picked up victories on Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (47-63)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-16.0)
Iowa batters collected seven extra-base hits and went 7 for 13 with runners in scoring position en route to a 13-0 rout over Omaha.
- LHP Rob Zastryzny (4.37 ERA) threw five perfect innings while striking out eight. He has allowed only two hits and two earned runs over his last three appearances (11 IP).
- RF Juan Perez (.281) was 3 for 5 with a double (23), a grand slam (8), five RBI (46) and a run scored.
- SS-LF Kristopher Negron (.238) went 1 for 4 with a three-run homer. Overall, he had four RBI (34), two runs scored and a walk.
- CF John Andreoli (.253) and DH Taylor Davis (.259) both collected three hits.
- 1B Cael Brockmeyer (.210) and 3B Jeimer Candelario (.303) each had two-hit games. Brockmeyer had two doubles (4) and two runs, while Candelario added a double (12), a homer, two RBI (26) and a run.
- RHP Justin Grimm (1 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) made his first appearance since being optioned.
Tennessee Smokies (15-22)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-6.0)
The Smokies scored all three of their runs in the top of the ninth inning to beat Birmingham, 3-2.
- LF Jorge Soler (.087) was 0 for 4 with a walk in his ninth rehab game.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.201) went 2 for 4 with a double (15), an RBI (27) and a run.
- 2B Chesny Young (.288) was 1 for 5 with a double (15) and an RBI (23). He has a hit in 24 of his last 29 games.
- C Victor Caratini (.292), DH David Freitas (.304) and 3B Gioskar Amaya (.167) each had multi-hit games.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.06 ERA) has allowed two or fewer runs in four-consecutive starts. He is 0-1 with a 2.35 ERA (6 ER/23 IP) over the stretch.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (21-17)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Myrtle Beach used a seventh-inning rally to defeat host Frederick, 5-4.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.407) was 2 for 4 with a double (3), two RBI (5), two runs scored and two stolen bases (6). He has a hit in six of his seven games with Myrtle Beach.
- LF Charcer Burks (.245) tripled (4), scored a run, walked and recorded a stolen base (22).
- 3B Jesse Hodges (.314) added a multi-hit game, going 2 for 4. It extended his hitting streak to seven straight games (.407/11 for 27).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.225) finished 1 for 4 with a double (9) and an RBI (27).
South Bend Cubs (24-13)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
South Bend and Great Lakes both had seven hits but the SB-Cubs prevailed, 5-1.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.342) finished 2 for 5 with two doubles (35) and two RBI (72). His 72 RBI are nine more than the next-closest Midwest League batter. He also extended his hitting streak to eight games (.567/17 for 30).
- RF Eddy Martinez (.272) was 2 for 4 with an RBI (59) and a walk.
- 1B Alberto Mineo (.354) reached base three times, going 1 for 3 with two walks. He also scored twice.
- LHP Justin Steele is 1-0 with a 3.57 ERA (7 ER/17.2 IP) over five starts since rejoining South Bend from Eugene after pitching five scoreless innings Monday. He struck out seven in the win.