Cubs Minor League Report: 8/10/16
Only Eugene managed to pick up a win Wednesday, with Tennessee and South Bend having the afternoon off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (51-68)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Fourth Place (-15.0)
Iowa was blanked for the second straight game, falling 7-0 at home to Oklahoma City.
- RHP Trevor Cahill (4.58 ERA) made his sixth rehab start with Iowa. He threw 36 pitches in two innings, allowing back-to-back homers in the first inning, accounting for all three runs.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.304) went 3-for-4, his second three-hit game of the season. He has hit safely in three straight games (.545/6-for-11).
- RHP Armando Rivero (2 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO) has a 0.56 ERA (1 ER/16.2 IP) since the beginning of July.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (28-18)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.5)
Myrtle Beach snapped its 10-game winning streak with a 2-1 setback (10 inn.) to Salem.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (2.96 ERA) gave up no earned runs in six innings, striking out five for the no-decision. He has not allowed an earned run in back-to-back starts and has allowed only four hits in his last 13 innings.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.243) hit a two-out, solo homer (7), accounting for the only Pelicans run. He also drew a walk, laid down a sacrifice bunt and swiped a bag (34).
- LF Charcer Burks extended his hitting streak to six straight (.435/10-for-23), going 2-for-5.
- 2B-3B David Bote (.308) went 1-for-4 with a double (16) and a walk.
Eugene Emeralds (8-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
T-First Place (–)
The Emeralds put up double-digit runs for the second straight game, topping host Salem-Keizer, 12-4.
- 1B Trent Giambrone (.277) reached base five times, going 4-for-4 with a walk. He recorded a homer (2), two doubles (7), two RBI (14) and three runs scored.
- SS Zack Short (.274) went 1-for-2 with a double (3), four RBI (11), two runs scored, a walk and a sacrifice fly.
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.237) was 2-for-4 with a solo homer. He also drew a walk.
- C Tyler Payne (.261) had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- RHP Bailey Clark (2.70 ERA) allowed only one earned run for the second straight start. He gave up one earned run in four innings.
Mesa Cubs (4-7)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-3.0)
A ninth-inning rally was not enough as the Mesa Cubs fell to the AZL Padres, 10-8.
- 3B Rafael Mejia (.202) was 1-for-2 with a three-run homer (2) in the second inning.
- CF Luis Ayala (.290) was 1-for-5, his lone hit a triple (4). He also scored once.
- 2B-3B Jhonny Bethencourt (.228) reached base three times, going 1-for-3 with two walks. He drove in a run (7) and scored twice.