Cubs Minor League Report: 8/14/16
Iowa picked up a win and Eugene continued its streak Sunday, but every other affiliate was on the losing end. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (53-69)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
T-Third Place (-16.0)
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.310) went 2-for-4 with a walk, a triple (3), a run scored and four RBI (36). He is batting .458 (11-for-24) with seven RBI in his last six games.
- RF John Andreoli (.253) reached four times, going 1-for-3 with a season high three walks, a double (16), two runs scored and a stolen base (30).
- DH Cael Brockmeyer (.228) reached three times, going 2-for-4 with a double (5), a triple (1), a walk and a run scored. It’s his second straight two-hit game.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2.1 IP, 2 H, 5 SO) recorded his first save of the season as he struck out a season-high-tying five batters in 2.1 scoreless innings.
Tennessee Smokies (19-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-11.0)
The Smokies could not hold on to a 4-0 lead, falling 10-7 at Pensacola.
- C Victor Caratini (.298) went 3-for-4 with a double (23), a triple (2), a walk, a run and three RBI (43).
- CF Trey Martin (.211) snapped a three-game hitless skid, going 1-for-4 with a double, a walk and a run scored.
- 2B Ian Happ (.266) was 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs. He has five runs in his last five games.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (31-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (31-19)
The Pelicans allowed eight runs in the fourth inning and could not complete a rally, falling 8-6 at Carolina.
- 1B David Bote (.313) finished 2-for-5 with a run scored, his second straight multi-hit game.
- 2B Bryant Flete (.357) went 2-for-4 with a double (4), a walk, a run scored and an RBI (12). He is batting .357 (25-for-70) with 15 runs and 12 RBI in 19 games with Myrtle Beach.
- DH Ian Rice (.241) reached base three times, going 1-for-3 with a run scored, an RBI (23) and two walks.
- C Tyler Pearson (.217) went 1-for-4 with a solo homer and two RBI (9).
South Bend Cubs (32-17)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-0.5)
South Bend led 5-4 heading into the bottom of the ninth, but fell 6-5 in 10 innings at Dayton.
- 3B Matt Rose (.223) went 1-for-4 with a three-run homer (8), extending his hitting streak to 12 games (.326/15-for-46). It’s is the longest active streak in the Cubs organization.
- CF Connor Myers (.262) finished 2-for-4 with a solo homer (1) and two RBI (7). He has hit safely in four straight games (.529/9-for-17).
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.336) was 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- 2B Vimael Machin (.191) went 2-for-4 with a double (2) and a run scored.
Eugene Emeralds (12-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene earned its 10th straight victory, topping host Spokane, 4-2.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo (.267) went 2-for-4 with a double (15), a solo homer (8) and two runs scored. He has hit safely in seven straight games (.467/14-for-30).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.254) collected his second straight three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with a double (8) and a run scored.
- SS Zack Short (.292) went 2-for-3 with two RBI (13).
- LHP Bryan Hudson (3.60 ERA) tossed five scoreless innings, striking out three in the win. It tied his longest outing of the season, and he allowed just two hits.
Mesa Cubs (5-9)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-4.0)
Mesa dropped to 1-5 in the last six games, falling 6-4 at the AZL Reds.
- RF Ruben Reyes (.226) went 2-for-4 with a double (7) and an RBI (10).
- C Michael Cruz (.263) went 1-for-2 with a solo homer (2), two runs scored and a walk.
- LHP Yapson Gomez (3.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO) allowed just three hits in 3.2 innings of relief.