Cubs Minor League Report: 8/15/16
Iowa’s bullpen picked up the slack, Tennessee and Myrtle Beach each scored convincing wins, South Bend edged out Bowling Green, and Eugene extended its streak Monday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (54-69)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-16.0)
Iowa took the series over Fresno with a 6-4 victory, thanks in part to four scoreless innings from the bullpen.
- C Tim Federowicz (.290) was 2-for-5 with a homer (7), three RBI (31), two runs scored and a stolen base (3). It’s his third homer in his last four games. In 38 games since rejoining Iowa on July 2, he is batting .288 (40-for-139) with five homers, four doubles and 24 RBI.
- SS Kristopher Negron (.251) was 1-for-2 with a homer (7), two RBI (41), a run scored and a sacrifice bunt.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.222) had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a walk.
- LF Juan Perez (.276) recorded a double (26) and scored once.
- RHP Spencer Patton (1 IP) notched his 11th save of the season and extended his scoreless streak to 16 innings pitched by tossing a perfect frame.
Tennessee Smokies (20-29)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-10.0)
Tennessee staved off a sweep with a 9-4 victory over host Pensacola.
- CF Lane Adams (.225) socked his first homer with Tennessee, a two-run shot in the seventh inning. He was 3-for-4 with three RBI (3) and three runs scored.
- LF Kelly Dugan (.232) also had a three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with an RBI (32), two runs scored and a walk.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.215) and 2B Chesny Young (.295) both had two hits, including a double. Young drove in two runs (28), while Penalver dove in one (32) and scored twice.
- RHP Zach Hedges (1.50 ERA) tossed his third straight scoreless outing, going five innings and striking out four. He has not allowed a run in 19 consecutive innings.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (32-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.5)
- 2B David Bote (.317) was 2-for-4 with two doubles (19) and two RBI (26). It’s his third straight multi-hit game.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.253) and RF Jeffrey Baez (.247) both were 2-for-4. Baez added a double (14).
- LF Daniel Spingola (.215) reached twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk. He also scored once.
- RHP Jake Stinnett (4.27 ERA) picked up the win, tossing seven innings of one-run ball and fanning six. He has gone six or more innings in nine of his 20 starts this season.
South Bend Cubs (33-17)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
Despite being outhit, South Bend came from behind to top host Bowling Green, 3-2.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.261) was 1-for-3 with a double (21), the lone South Bend extra-base hit. He also scored a run and walked once.
- CF Connor Myers (.266) was 1-for-3 with a pair of RBI (9) and a sacrifice bunt. This year’s 27th-round pick out of Old Dominion has driven in six runs in his last five games.
- LF Roberto Caro (.242) reached base three times, going 2-for-3 with a walk and one run scored.
- RHP Casey Bloomquist (2.72 ERA) surrendered one earned run in seven innings, striking out two and walking none in the win. In nine starts this season, he has yet to allow more than three earned runs.
Eugene Emeralds (13-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+3.0)
The Ems extended their winning streak to 11 straight by beating Spokane, 6-3.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.368) was 4-for-5 with three RBI (5) and a run scored. He has played six games with Eugene as part of a minor-league rehabilitation assignment from Tennessee.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.263) was 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles (12) and three runs scored.
- SS Yeiler Peguero (.257) went 2-for-4 with a double (9), an RBI (16), a run scored and a walk.
- C Tyler Payne (.260) was 1-for-4 with a double (5) and a run scored.
- RHP Erling Moreno has yet to allow an earned run in three starts (15 IP) with Eugene. He has punched out 11 compared to only three walks.
Mesa Cubs (5-11)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-5.5)
Mesa was swept in a twinbill against the AZL Giants. The second game was a makeup of a postponed contest from Aug. 2.
- C/PH Jhonny Pereda (.302) went a combined 3-for-4 with a double (4) and an RBI (19) between the two contests.
- C Gustavo Polanco (.317) slugged a solo homer (1) in the second game. He was 1-for-4.
- SS Isaac Paredes (.294) was a combined 3-for-7 with an RBI (18), a walk and a stolen base (4). He has a hit in an organization-best 13 straight games.
- RHP Javier Assad (2.60 ERA) gave up no runs in five innings, striking out three and walking one. He has not allowed an earned run in five of his last seven starts.
- RHP Duane Underwood Jr. tossed one scoreless inning, making his first appearance with Mesa. He is currently on a minor-league rehabilitation assignment from Tennessee. He struck out two.