Cubs Minor League Report: 8/16/16
It was a good day for Cubs farm teams, as all four affiliates taking the field picked up wins. Tennessee and Mesa had the day off. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (55-69)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-15.0)
The I-Cubs picked up their fourth-straight win, topping host Sacramento, 5-1.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.500) was 2-for-4 with a double (1) and a stolen base (1) in his first game with Iowa.
- RF John Andreoli (.256) went 2-for-3 with an RBI (53), a sac fly and a stolen base (31).
- CF Juan Perez (.278) was 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI (49). He has a hit in five straight games.
- RHP Jake Buchanan (4.64 ERA) surrendered just one run in seven innings to pick up the win. He struck out four.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (33-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.5)
After trailing 3-0, the Pelicans rallied for four unanswered runs and walked off over Winston-Salem, 4- 3 (10 inn.).
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.256) was 3-for-5 with a double (19) and a pair of RBI (87). It extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.304/17-for-56). He tallied the walk-off knock.
- 2B David Bote (.319) had his fourth straight multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- CF Donnie Dewees (.301) was 1-for-4 with a sacrifice bunt, a stolen base (10) and a run scored.
- LF Charcer Burks (.246) reached three times, going 1-for-3 with a pair of walks.
South Bend Cubs (34-17)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.5)
For the second straight game, the SB-Cubs were outhit but won by a score of 3-2 over Bowling Green.
- LF Roberto Caro (.252), who has reached base six times in his last two games, was 2-for-3 with a triple (3), an RBI (16), a run scored and a walk.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.325) was 2-for-4 with an RBI (22), extending his hitting streak to 11 games (.370/17-for-46).
Eugene Emeralds (14-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+3.0)
The Emeralds stretched their winning streak to 12 straight games as they beat host Spokane, 13-8.
- LF Chris Pieters (.286) was 2-for-4 with three RBI (31), a run scored and a walk.
- C Marcus Mastrobuoni (.245) was 1-for-5 with a triple (1), a pair of RBI (16) and a run scored.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.263) reached twice, going 1-for-4 with a walk. He also scored twice and stole two bases (14).
- LHP Marc Huberman (1.2 IP, BB, 2 SO) has only given up four hits and one run over 6.2 IP with Eugene.