Cubs Minor League Report: 8/17/16
Iowa and Myrtle Beach were both able to secure one-run wins, Eugene’s pitching was dominant, and Mesa scored a season-high in runs on Wednesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (56-69)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-15.0)
The I-Cubs extended their winning streak to five games by defeating host Sacramento, 8-7.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.308) was 2-for-4 with a double (14), a homer (7), two RBI (39) and two runs. He has three multi-hit games in his five-game hitting streak.
- 2B-1B Logan Watkins (.282) went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI (38) and a run scored.
- C Taylor Davis (.258) and RF Juan Perez (.281) each collected two hits and drove in a run. Perez also scored once.
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.237) was 1-for-2 with a double (1), two runs scored and a walk.
- RHP Felix Pena (2.2 IP, 2 SO) tossed 2.2 perfect frames and has not allowed a run in his last eight innings.
Tennessee Smokies (20-30)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-11.0)
The Smokies went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and lost to Jacksonville, 5-1.
- 2B Tommy La Stella (1.000) went 1-for-1 in his first game back to minor-league ball. He was also hit by a pitch.
- RF Ian Happ (.276) reached base all four times, going 3-for-3 with a walk and scoring a run. He also swiped a bag (4).
- SS Chesny Young (.294) was 1-for-4, his lone hit a double (19).
- 3B Jason Vosler (.273) drove in the only Tennessee run (8) of the game via a sacrifice fly.
- RHP Jack Leathersich (1 IP, 1 SO) has not allowed a hit in his last three outings (3 IP).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (34-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.5)
The Pelicans staved off a ninth-inning Winston-Salem rally to win, 6-5. It’s their 21st win in their last 26 games.
- LF Charcer Burks (.248) was 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles (24) and two runs scored.
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.259) extended his hitting streak to 14 games, going 2-for-4 with an RBI (88) and a run scored. It’s his third straight multi-hit game.
- SS Andrew Ely (.247) had a multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- DH Ian Rice (.243) went 1-for-3 with a double (9).
- 3B David Bote (.319) reached three times, going 1-for-3 with two walks. He also knocked in a run (27) and scored twice.
South Bend Cubs (34-18)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+2.5)
South Bend batters struck out 13 times en route to an 8-5 setback at Bowling Green.
- 3B Matt Rose (.217) was 1-for-4 with a three-run homer (9) in the fifth inning.
- DH Adonis Paula (.187) went 1-for-4 with a two-run, two-out shot (2) in the fourth.
- C Alberto Mineo (.235) reached twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk. He added a double (4) and a run.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.189) registered his fifth double of the season for South Bend.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 SO) has not allowed an earned run over three appearances (7.1 IP) since rejoining South Bend.
Eugene Emeralds (15-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+4.0)
RHP Dylan Cease and RHP Duncan Robinson combined for 7.2 hitless innings to start the game. The Emeralds walked off against Boise, 3-2, and picked up their 13th straight win.
- 3B Trent Giambrone (.267) delivered the walk-off hit, an RBI single. He was 2-for-3 with a double (8), an RBI (15), a run scored, a walk and a stolen base (3).
- RF Kevonte Mitchell (.254) went 2-for-4 with a double (9) and a run scored.
- LF Chris Pieters (.282) was 1-for-3 with a double (7), a walk and an RBI (30).
- RHP Dylan Cease (2.93 ERA) fanned a career-high eight batters in 3.2 innings and has not allowed an earned run in back-to-back outings.
Mesa Cubs (6-11)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-5.0)
The Mesa Cubs picked up a season high 15 runs en route to a 15-7 defeat of the host AZL White Sox.
- SS Isaac Paredes (.305) tallied eight total bases, going 3-for-5 with two doubles (13), a homer (1), five RBI (23) and two runs scored.
- DH Gustavo Polanco (.325) went 3-for-6 with three doubles (6), four RBI (20) and two runs scored.
- RF-CF Tolly Filotei (.185) reached base five times, going 3-for-4 with two walks. He added two RBI (4), four runs scored and a stolen base (2).
- PR-RF Ruben Reyes (.230) and 2B Edgar Rondon (.273) both had multi-hit games. Reyes was 2-for-4 with three runs scored, while Rondon went 2-for-3 with two walks, three runs scored and a stolen base (5).