Cubs Minor League Report: 8/18/16
Iowa and Eugene continued their impressive winning streaks Thursday, while South Bend rallied late for a victory. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league action.
Iowa Cubs (57-69)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-14.0)
Iowa won its sixth straight game, defeating host Sacramento, 4-3.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.312) went 2-for-4 with a solo homer, his second-straight game with a homer. He has hit safely in six straight games (.407/11-for-27) with four multi-hit efforts. He has reached base in 25-straight games.
- SS Munenori Kawasaki (.269) went 1-for-3 with a two-run homer, his first-career homer in 222 minor-league games.
- C Tim Federowicz (.288) went 2-for-4, his fourth multi-hit game in his last six contests.
- RHP Josh Collmenter made his first start in the Cubs organization.
- LHP Joe Thatcher (1 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) also made his Cubs debut.
- RHP Pierce Johnson (2.2 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 5 SO) collected the win with 2.2 scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (20-31)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-12.0)
The Smokies scored six runs in the final two frames, but still suffered an 11-7 setback vs. Jacksonville.
- LF Chesny Young (.300) went 4-for-5 with a double (20), two runs and one RBI (29). This marked his fifth four-hit game of the season.
- C Victor Caratini (.297) went 3-for-5 with two RBI (45).
- PH Kelly Dugan (.237) hit a two-run pinch-hit homer in the eighth inning.
- 2B Ian Happ (.275) went 1-for-4 with a walk, two runs scored and a stolen base (5). He extended his hitting streak to five games (.400/8-for-20).
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (34-19)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+2.0)
Myrtle Beach’s game vs. Winston-Salem was cancelled due to rain and will not be made up.
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+1.5)South Bend scored runs in the eighth and ninth innings to defeat host Bowling Green, 6-4.
- 1B Matt Rose (.222) homered for the second-straight game, going 2-for-4 with a solo shot, two runs scored and two RBI (33).
- 3B Vimael Machin (.220) reached base three times, going 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (7).
- C Alberto Mineo (.243) went 2-for-5 with a double (5) and a run scored.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.199) went 2-for-4 with two RBI (9).
Eugene Emeralds (16-5)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+5.0)
Eugene won its 14th straight game, tying the Northwest League record for consecutive wins. The Ems defeated visiting Boise, 1-0, in a pitcher’s duel.
- DH Trent Giambrone (.286) went 3-for-3 with two doubles (10) and a run scored. He has gone 6-for-10 with three runs scored in his last three games.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.271) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (14), an RBI (25) and a stolen base (15). He has hit safely in seven-straight games (.417/10-for-24).
- LHP Manuel Rondon has tossed three-straight scoreless outings (16 IP) and has allowed just three total earned runs in his last seven starts.
Mesa Cubs (6-12)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-5.5)
Mesa collected just five hits in a 6-2 setback vs. the AZL Reds.
- 1B Jhonny Pereda (.298) had the team’s only multi-hit game, going 2-for-4 with a double (5).
- CF Tolly Filotei (.179) went 0-for-1 with three walks and an RBI (5).
- RHP Michael Rucker (2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 SO) has not allowed an earned run in 6.2 innings pitched.