Cubs Minor League Report: 8/22/16
Iowa and Tennessee both picked up wins behind big innings, South Bend’s pitching carried the load, and Eugene was victorious in walk-off fashion Monday. Myrtle Beach had the day off and will resume play tonight. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (59-71)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-13.0)
- LF Bijan Rademacher (.288) went 2-for-3 with a walk, double (2), solo homer (1) and two runs scored. He has hit safely in six straight games (.450/9-for-20).
- C Tim Federowicz (.291) was 2-for-4 with a two-run homer (8). He is batting .351 (13-for-37) with four homers and 11 RBI in his last nine games.
- 2B Tommy La Stella (.280) finished 1-for-4 with a double (1) and run scored.
- RHP Stephen Fife (3.26 ERA) pitched four scoreless innings, striking out four.
- RHP Armando Rivero (2 IP, 2 BB, 5 SO) earned the win, striking out five batters in two scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (22-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-13.0)
The Smokies scored five runs in the last two innings to defeat host Jackson, 10-7.
- CF Lane Adams (.267) went 3-for-5 with two doubles (4), one run scored and two RBI (9).
- 1B Victor Caratini (.297) reached three times, going 2-for-4 with a double (24), a walk and a run scored.
- RF Kelly Dugan (.236) and DH Chesny Young (.302) each registered multi-hit games.
- 2B Ian Happ (.270) hit a two-run homer (5) in the second inning, and C David Freitas (.284) added a solo shot in the eighth inning (4). Freitas has homered in consecutive games and has scored two runs in three straight contests.
- The Smokies had 10 extra-base hits in the game, including eight doubles.
South Bend Cubs (37-20)
Midwest League (Single-A)
First Place (+0.5)
South Bend allowed just two hits in an 8-2 win over West Michigan.
- C P.J. Higgins (.273) went 3-for-5 with an RBI (33), his first three-hit game since July 14.
- RF Eddy Martinez (.261) was 2-for-5 with three runs scored, one RBI (65) and a stolen base (7).
- DH Sam Tidaback (.375) went 2-for-4 with a double (1) and two RBI (2).
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.320), LF Eloy Jimenez (.337) and SS Andruw Monasterio (.209) all added multi-hit games. Jimenez appeared in his first game since Aug. 14.
- RHP Duane Underwood Jr. (0.00 ERA) has yet to allow a hit in two outings (5 IP) with Sound Bend, walking two batters and fanning seven in total.
Eugene Emeralds (18-7)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+3.0)
Eugene snapped a two-game skid with a 1-0 walk-off victory in nine innings over Everett.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.262) recorded a walk-off RBI single in the ninth inning.
- LF Chris Pieters (.274) went 2-for-4, his 17th multi-hit game of the season.
- RHP Michael Knighton (2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 SO) recorded his 10th relief outing of at least two innings.
- RHP Tyson Miller pitched a season-high 4.1 innings and recorded his first scoreless outing.
Mesa Cubs (9-13)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-4.5)
Mesa collected 10 hits, all singles, in a 6-3 setback vs. the AZL Athletics.
- RF Ruben Reyes (.254) went 3-for-3 with a walk, a run scored and an RBI (11). He has hit safely in five straight games (.500/8-for-16) with seven runs scored.
- CF Luis Ayala (.277) went 2-for-5 with an RBI (18) and two stolen bases (18).
- DH Gustavo Polanco (.331) went 1-for-4 with a walk and a run scored.