Cubs Minor League Report: 8/23/16
Iowa edged out a win, Tennessee took both games of its doubleheader, Myrtle Beach posted a shutout, and Mesa battled back for a victory on Tuesday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (60-71)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-13.0)
Despite going 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position, the I-Cubs prevailed over Memphis, 3-2.
- 3B Tommy La Stella (.310) was 2-for-4 with a double (2) and a run scored.
- 2B Stephen Bruno (.188) connected for his first Triple-A homer, a solo shot in the fourth inning.
- RF Bijan Rademacher (.296) went 1-for-2 with a double (3), a sacrifice fly, a sacrifice bunt and an RBI (6).
- RHP Josh Collmenter (1.35 ERA) tossed four scoreless frames in his second start, striking out two.
Tennessee Smokies (24-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-11.0)
The Smokies swept a twinbill over host Jackson, including a 10-inning, 4-2 victory in Game 1.
- RF/LF Kelly Dugan (.250) combined to go 5-for-8 with two doubles (12), two homers (12), five RBI (41) and five runs scored. In his last 21 games (since July 31), he is batting .362 (25-for-69) with five homers and 14 RBI.
- 1B/DH Ben Carhart (.264) also homered in both games (4) and combined to go 5-for-8. He added five RBI (22) and three runs scored. His two-run, two-out homer in Game 1 provided the go-ahead run.
- DH/1B David Freitas (.289) added three doubles (19) in the twin bill, including a pair in the second contest. He tallied two RBI (35) and three runs overall, all coming in Game 2.
- RF Lane Adams (.288) went 2-for-4 with a double (5), a run scored and two stolen bases (5) in Game 2. He also swiped a bag in the first contest.
- RHP Juan Paniagua (4 IP, 2 SO) tossed four hitless frames and picked up his fifth win of the season in Game 2.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (36-21)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach pitching blanked the Carolina offense and recorded 13 punchouts in a 7-0 victory.
- RHP Trevor Clifton (2.87 ERA) matched a season-high with 10 strikeouts. He gave up no runs in 6.2 innings. It’s his fifth start this season of at least six shutout innings.
- 3B David Bote (.329) was 3-for-5 with two doubles (22), two runs scored and an RBI (29). He is hitting .404 (19-for-47) with seven doubles and seven RBI during his 11-game hitting streak.
- DH Ian Rice (.255) went 2-for-4 with a double (10) and three RBI (29).
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.248) and CF Donnie Dewees (.287) both had two-hit games. Baez added an RBI (44) and a stolen base (36), while Dewees tallied a double (5), an RBI (12) and two runs scored.
- SS Andrew Ely (.246) and 2B Bryant Flete (.307) both added doubles.
South Bend Cubs (37-21)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-1.0)
Even after mounting a 5-0 lead by the fifth inning, the SB-Cubs lost to West Michigan, 6-5.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.335) hit a solo homer (13) in the fifth inning. He was named Midwest League MVP and Prospect of the Year yesterday. He is a league leader in RBI (78), doubles (38) and slugging percentage (.535), and ranks third in batting average (.335)
- RHP Oscar De La Cruz (2.78 ERA) pitched five scoreless innings, striking out three for the win.
- DH Adonis Paula (.231) and 2B Carlos Sepulveda (.321) each had a two-hit game and both hit doubles.
- SS Andruw Monasterio (.218) and 3B Vimael Machin (.243) both finished 2-for-3 with a run scored.
Eugene Emeralds (18-8)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+2.0)
The Emeralds could muster only four hits and committed two errors as they fell to Everett, 3-1.
- RHP Dylan Cease (2.86 ERA) fanned seven and gave up one earned run in four innings.
- DH Jose Paniagua (.206) went 1-for-3 with a double (5), the lone Eugene extra-base hit. He also added an RBI (16).
- CF D.J. Wilson (.263) was 1-for-3 with a stolen base (16).
Mesa Cubs (10-13)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-4.0)
Mesa plated five runs in the last two frames to come from behind and top the host AZL Giants, 5-3.
- 1B Jhonny Pereda (.284) reached base twice, going 1-for-3 with a walk. He also added an RBI (21).
- 3B Rafael Mejia (.212) and CF Luis Ayala (.276) each had one hit and one RBI.
- RHP Michael Rucker (2 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) has yet to allow an earned run in 8.2 IP with Mesa. This year’s 11th round pick out of Brigham Young University notched his third win of the season.