Cubs Minor League Report: 8/25/16
Tennessee claimed a win in extras, Myrtle Beach wrapped up a road-series sweep, and Mesa’s one big inning was enough to secure the victory Thursday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action:
Iowa Cubs (60-72)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-12.5)
Iowa registered just three hits in an 8-1 setback against the Storm Chasers.
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.318) went 2-for-4 with a double (15) and an RBI (44). He has hit safely in 11 straight games (.396/19-for-48).
- LF Chris Coghlan (.333) finished 1-for-3 with a run scored in his first rehab game with Iowa.
- CF John Andreoli (.255) reached twice, going 0-for-2 with two walks. He has drawn 15 walks in his last 11 games.
Tennessee Smokies (26-33)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-9.0)
The Smokies claimed their fifth straight victory with a 5-4, 10-inning triumph over Jackson.
- RF Lane Adams (.303) went 2-for-5 with an RBI (13) and a stolen base (7). He has gone 17-for-40 (.425) with four doubles, three homers and 13 RBI in his last 11 games.
- DH David Freitas (.294) extended his hitting streak to seven games (.385/10-for-26), going 2-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored. He has scored 11 runs during the streak.
- LF Kelly Dugan (.253) finished 2-for-5 with two doubles (14) and two RBI (44), including the game-winner. He is 10-for-21 (.477) with five doubles and two homers in his last five games.
- C Ben Carhart (.263) hit his third homer (5) in his last four games, going 1-for-5 with two RBI (24).
- RHP Stephen Perakslis (3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 SO) tossed three scoreless innings to collect his first win.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (38-21)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.0)
Myrtle Beach won its fourth straight game, topping host Carolina, 8-4, to sweep the series.
- 2B David Bote (.342) extended his hitting streak to 13 games (.446/25-for-56), going 4-for-5 with two doubles (24), a two-run homer (4) and three RBI (33).
- SS Bryant Flete (.312) went 2-for-4 with a walk and an RBI (13).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.278) went 1-for-3 with a walk, double (6), two runs, three RBI (15) and two stolen bases (12).
- LF Daniel Spingola (.228) and 3B Jesse Hodges (.215) each collected a hit and scored two runs.
South Bend Cubs (38-22)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-2.0)
South Bend could not rally from an early 2-0 deficit, falling 2-1 at home vs. West Michigan.
- DH P.J. Higgins (.273) and SS Andruw Monasterio (.216) each finished 1-for-3 with a walk.
- LF Eloy Jimenez (.335) went 1-for-4 with a double (40), for the team’s only extra-base hit.
- LHP Justin Steele (5.30 ERA) gave up just two earned runs in six innings of work.
- RHP Tanner Griggs (3 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) pitched three scoreless innings of relief.
Mesa Cubs (11-14)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-4.0)
Mesa scored three third-inning runs and held on for a 3-2 victory over the AZL Angels.
- SS Isaac Paredes (.305) went 2-for-4 with a triple (3).
- 1B Kevin Zamudio (.241) finished 2-for-4, his 10th multi-hit game.
- RHP Jose Leidenz (4 IP, 2 H, 1 BB) allowed just two hits and no runs in a season high four scoreless innings of relief to earn his second win.