Cubs Minor League Report: 8/28/16
Tennessee was bolstered by a big inning, Myrtle Beach held on for the win, and Eugene picked up the victory in a one-run game Sunday. Here are some highlights from yesterday’s minor-league Cubs action.
Iowa Cubs (62-73)
Pacific Coast League (Triple-A)
Third Place (-13.5)
Iowa collected just five hits in a 7-2 setback at home vs. Omaha.
- C Tim Federowicz (.290) went 1-for-4 with a double (10), a run scored and an RBI (37).
- 3B Jeimer Candelario (.322) finished 1-for-4 with a run scored. He is batting .354 (34-for-96) with 14 runs scored in 25 August games.
- LHP Giovanni Soto (2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 4 SO), RHP Corey Black (2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 SO) and LHP Joe Thatcher (1 IP, 2 SO) combined for five scoreless innings of relief.
Tennessee Smokies (27-34)
Southern League (Double-A)
Fourth Place (-9.5)
The Smokies scored eight runs in the fifth inning to move past Birmingham, 11-5.
- RF Lane Adams (.325) continued his hot stretch, going 3-for-3 with a walk, a hit-by-pitch, a run scored, four RBI (19) and two stolen bases (9). He has hit safely in 11 straight games (.429/18-for-42), with 16 RBI during that span.
- SS Carlos Penalver (.210) reached four times, going 1-for-2 with a double (20), a season-high three walks and two runs scored.
- C Gioskar Amaya (.162) tripled (1) and added two walks, two runs scored and two RBI (8).
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng (3.90 ERA) struck out four in six innings, surrendering two earned runs.
- Tennessee drew 13 walks in the contest, while collecting just seven hits.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (41-21)
Carolina League (High-A)
First Place (+1.5)
Myrtle Beach took an 8-2 lead and held on for an 8-7 victory over host Wilmington. The Pelicans have won seven straight and improved to 21-4 in August, tying a franchise record for wins in a month.
- C Erick Castillo (.199) went 3-for-5 with a run scored, his first three-hit game of the season.
- RF Jeffrey Baez (.246) was 2-for-4 with a double (15), a walk, a run scored and a stolen base (37).
- CF Donnie Dewees (.289) went 2-for-4 with a double (8), a run scored and an RBI (17). He extended his hitting streak to four games (.375/6-for-16).
- 1B Yasiel Balaguert (.256) and DH Ian Rice (.254) each finished 2-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI.
- RHP Daniel Lewis (3 IP, 2 H, 3 SO) extended his scoreless innings streak to 14.2 innings. He improved to 5-0 with a 2.93 ERA (9 ER/27.2 IP) in 18 games with Myrtle Beach.
South Bend Cubs (38-25)
Midwest League (Single-A)
Second Place (-4.0)
South Bend was limited to three singles in a 2-0 shutout loss vs. Great Lakes.
- DH P.J Higgins (.273) reached four times, singling in his only official at-bat and drawing three walks.
- RHP Greyfer Eregua (3.1 IP, 2 H, 1 SO) made his 10th relief outing of at least three innings.
- RHP Jared Cheek (2 IP, 1 H, 2 SO) limited Great Lakes to just one hit in two scoreless innings.
Eugene Emeralds (21-9)
Northwest League (Short-Season A)
First Place (+1.0)
Eugene held off a late Salem-Keizer rally to prevail, 6-5.
- RF Jose Gonzalez (.200) went 2-for-3 with two doubles (3), a walk and two runs scored.
- RHP Erling Moreno (0.72 ERA) gave up one earned run in five innings, striking out six.
- CF D.J. Wilson (.266) and SS Yeiler Peguero (.255) each finished 2-for-5 with an extra-base hit and an RBI.
- 2B Trent Giambrone (.307) was 2-for-4 with a walk, a run scored, an RBI (21) and a stolen base (5).
- LF Kevonte Mitchell (.239) hit a solo homer (5) in the seventh inning, and C Tyler Payne (.246) connected on a two-run shot (3) in the eighth inning.
Mesa Cubs (12-15)
Arizona Rookie League
Fifth Place (-4.0)
Mesa out-hit the AZL Athletics, 10-7, but lost the game, 5-3.
- 3B Jhonny Bethencourt (.232) was 2-for-4 with a run scored, an RBI (13) and two steals (7).
- RF Kwang-Min Kwon (.280) reached three times, going 2-for-3 with a double (2), a walk and a run scored. He has hit safely in five of his last six games.
- LF Yohan Matos (.238) and CF Tolly Filotei (.167) each added multi-hit games.